The Royal Blue Room
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redmond wants to Stay

+3
bluenosekev
hootie63
bluenoseghag
7 posters

Go down

Redmond wants to Stay Empty Redmond wants to Stay

Post  bluenoseghag Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 am

NATHAN Redmond has outlined his determination to nail down a regular place in the Blues side.

And the teenage winger insisted he was approaching the coming season with no fear. Redmond announced himself to the football world with some exhilarating performances in 2011-12, not least during Blues’ Europa League campaign.

No longer a surprise package, he will have to cope with increased expectation levels and more knowing opponents – which doesn’t bother him in the slightest.

“It’s been quite a sharp and fast last 12 months,” he reflected here at Blues’ hotel in Austria.

“In that time I have grown up quite a lot in my everyday life.

“I am enjoying it, it’s stepping stones in my career.

“I feel like this year I am really part of the squad. Last year I was in and out. The gaffer did assure me I was part of it but this year I feel as if I have got a place to try to gain in the team and really make it mine. I’m still clutching on to the 18 years I have got, and I will keep the banter going with the lads. But I feel as if I am maturing as a player and person.”

Redmond made 16 starts last season – six in the Championship – and was used as a substitute on 21 occasions.

Buy Tickets to Sports Events on Ebay
He scored seven goals, the most memorable one a fizzing, low shot against CD Nacional that started the Europa League adventure in earnest.

“There’s going to be pressure and more teams know me, but I will be ready for all of that,” he said. “I don’t think it will be a problem for me.

“You can never be great every single game. That’s always how it’s been.

“I remember when Ronaldo scored 40 goals in one season and everyone expected him to do the same the next season – it’s impossible.

“All I can do is keep impressing the gaffer and keep learning. That’s the most important thing.

“The more I keep learning, the more I experience I gain as a professional, the more that will help.”

Redmond continued: “I’ve got Chris Burke here who gives me a lot of advice when we are playing. And Stephen Carr, too, who has come up against the top wingers in the world. He is always giving me pointers.

“Even if other teams are now more aware of me, it’s just about me adapting my game to that and doing what I am good at.

“If I do manage to play well and be consistent then that will be a credit to the staff and players around me.”

Redmond flew out with Blues to the Tirol two days after returning from England international duty in Estonia.

He helped the under-19s reach the semi-finals of the European Championship, another useful experience in his development.

Redmond said that stints with his country also helped him manage expectation.

He added: “It’s the same with England in that nothing ever changes. I’ve been there with them since I was 15, I am doing the same stuff now I was then through the age groups.

“It just carries on as you go through and that will be the same at Birmingham.

“I just need to keep doing my natural stuff, keep progressing and hopefully I will learn new things on the way and improve.”

Read More [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If we can turn down £6m for Butland, we can keep hold of Redmond given he's not pushing for a move Cheering
bluenoseghag
bluenoseghag

like : 12

Back to top Go down

Redmond wants to Stay Empty Re: Redmond wants to Stay

Post  hootie63 Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:13 am

Totally agree one thing we cant do at the moment is let the young kids go and it wouldn't be a wise move for them anyway another year or so at this level is with us is a lot better than signing for one of the 'bigger' only to be sent straight out on loan to a championship club anyway. Plus we will benefit more value wise if they both have a good season something I'm sure they wouldn't deny the club.

Last edited by hootie63 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
hootie63
hootie63
Admin

like : 40

https://bluescollective.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bluenosekev Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Redmond still aint the finished article by a long way, but I would start him in the first team against Charlton and then let him have a good run for a dozen games or so.

Where do you think his best position is tho ? on the left wing or behind a striker?

kro
bluenosekev
bluenosekev

like : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Raters Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 am

bluenosekev wrote:Redmond still aint the finished article by a long way, but I would start him in the first team against Charlton and then let him have a good run for a dozen games or so.

Where do you think his best position is tho ? on the left wing or behind a striker?

kro

I agree with you mate. he needs more game time as he's far from the finished article.

I think his best position is just behind the striker. It makes him hard to mark. If he's on the wing, as we saw lots last year, he just gets marked out of the game as he's too weak.
Raters
Raters

like : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  evergreen blue Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:19 am

Got to agree with Kev and Raters, he's too easy marked out of the game on the left as he's not a natural left footer anyway. His best position is just behind the strikers were he can pick up the loose balls, and he does have a good shot on him, as we've all seen. flags
evergreen blue
evergreen blue

like : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  bluenosekev Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 am

evergreen blue wrote:
Got to agree with Kev and Raters, he's too easy marked out of the game on the left as he's not a natural left footer anyway. His best position is just behind the strikers were he can pick up the loose balls, and he does have a good shot on him, as we've all seen. flags

True.

The one that stands out for me was his goal at Brighton thumb up

Probaly cos I was there behind the goal with over 2000 Bluenoses Cheering

kro.

bluenosekev
bluenosekev

like : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 am

For me he needs to bulk up a bit ,but glad he wants to stay .

Back to top Go down

Post  bluenosebryan Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:45 am

He was good last year but this year he will be even better plus hes been away with the england under 19s so he will have a little bit more experiance thumb up
bluenosebryan
bluenosebryan

like : 25

http://westmidsfansforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Raters Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:33 am

bluenosebryan wrote:He was good last year but this year he will be even better plus hes been away with the england under 19s so he will have a little bit more experiance thumb up

And more to prove I think. he knows he needs more first team action to get the move I'd assume he's looking for.
Raters
Raters

like : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  lawto Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 am

I think Redmond will come good, but he needs to get stronger on the ball ! Time will tell

lawto

like : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down